October 14, 2005 - Slacker...
I'm not tracking well with keeping the website
updated on a monthly basis. Hey, some of us work
for a living. Unlike some ex-Shoreline members who
have been kickin' it for the past 4 years. Must be
I've been slowly removing the interior from the
Celica. Surprisingly, it's been a bit of a nasty
project. The rear hatch leaked water badly and
there was quite a bit of rust underneath the spare tire
and trunk area.
Gee, I didn't know tires rusted...
Luckily the rust wasn't too deep and I
was able to grind it out easily with a drill and sanding
There was one small section behind the
back seat which proved to be a bit more problematic
though. The water must've collected in this small
compartment and sat there for years. After doing
some cleaning, some areas rusted completely thru and I
could see the garage floor from the inside of the hatch
area. Not cool.
It doesn't appear to be hard
to fix though. I'm pretty sure I can cut off the
bad area and weld on some new metal then seal it up.
Good thing I've been working on my welding skills the
past couple of months. This will be a good test of
how bad of a hack I really am.
None of this was really gross. The gross part
came to fruition during the removal of the back seat
assembly and side panels. It appears that the
previous owner of the car must've let his/her dog live
in the back seat. Animal hair was everywhere and
all wedged into the grooves of where the seat meets the
sides of the interior panels. Since the car leaked
water so bad, a lot of the animal hair got wet, moldy,
dirty, and clumped all together.
The real ugly
part was when I lifted the rear carpet. The wet
moldy environment must've provided an ideal home for bug
infestation. There were bug eggs embedded
throughout the felt matting underneath the carpet and
tiny little dead bugs all over. Euuuuu...
Went into biohazard mode and put on the carbon
respirator, glasses, Tyvek suit, and nitrile gloves.
It took quite a bit of time to clean all this out and
it's still not finished. Nasty.
What in the world???
Overall, the interior of the Celica is in pretty good
shape. But it's that funky brown/tan color.
Gotta have a black interior. No exceptions.
Local junkyards have yielded some black interior parts
and eBay has been a good resource also. Getting
all these used parts to match(even black fades with age)
and look new is extremely challenging though. So I
decide to ask the experts. They all recommend
dying and spraying the interior parts. They said
today's dyes and sprays work extremely well and are very
durable. So I do my research on the web and test a
few brands. I tried various brands ranging in
price of $1.50 a can to $10.00 a can. Well, mama
always said you get what you pay for. The cheap
stuff not only holds up poorly to wear, it's hard to
shoot evenly and is very temperature sensitive, which
yields a horrible uneven finish. Not cool at all.
The dye that I've been most happy with is manufactured
by SEM. It shoots well, covers well, and when
fully dry, maintains a very consistent factory satin
finish. Only thing is it's the most expensive dye
out there. Oh well, if you want to play, you have
Here's some of the finished parts. Not bad!
RA28 chrome smiley bumpers...
As far as my engine, I pretty much have everything
back from machining except the rocker assembly.
Block is done, painted nice shiny black. Head is
completed with oversized s/s valves, big porting, etc..
Just need to put everything together now. My
garage is a mess!
Here's the reworked and painted block...
Here's what the head looks like...
Porting w/ match-ported intake manifold...
Closeup intake port...
Took some timeout to see the JCCS show in Long Beach.
An impressive turnout. I have to say, the modified
Datsun community was out in full force. I'd say a
good 5-1 ratio of Datsuns to Toyotas. The 510, Z,
and Roasters were very well represented and the quality
of the cars were outstanding. Where's all the
btw, scored a pair of new Vitaloni Tornado mirrors
off eBay last month...