May 23, 2006 - Strange Weather
Boy, the weather sure is strange these days.
Cold, grey, and heavy rains one day then the next day,
sunny, warm, and pleasant. So why is the weather
all jacked up on the weekends when I don't have to work,
then gets nice on the days I do??? Story of my
Went to the Toyotafest show a couple of weekends ago.
Really big turn out. More new school than old
school cars this year but hey, it's all good.
Great to see all the Toyota cars and people who enjoy
them. The F20C powered Celicas and Corollas were
out in numbers this year. Sweet setup. For
me, the highlight of the show was being able to talk
with some folks from Restored.jp. They make
fiberglass and carbon fiber body parts for old school
import cars. I'm hoping I can score a carbon fiber
hood for the Liftback!
Work on the yellow beast continues to move slowly but
the car is now ready to depart to the body shop. I
think I've done about all I can in regards to dealing
with the rust. Heck, not like the car is going to
sit outside all the time and be exposed to the elements
24/7. For the most part, the car will probably be
covered and garaged.
I finished the hatch section finally and primered it
all. The primer I used is suppose to help with
keeping the rust from coming back. I guess we'll
see if it works or not. You can also see below
that I was lazy and didn't mask off the gas tank.
I also found some rust inside the rear quarter panels
just beneath the rear quarter windows. That
section was a bit tough to work on since it was hard to
get tools into that tiny box. Had to do most of it
by hand since I couldn't fit my grinder or drill in
there very well. Did the same process as
everywhere else. Grind the rust, neutralize it,
grind some more, neutralize again, then primer.
Although not as bad as the rear hatch area, there
were some spots in the front seating area that needed
treatment also. These were easy compared to what I
had to go through in the back of the car. Man, if
only everything was this easy.
The last area I had to work on was in the front.
The lower stiffener had quite a bit of rust because of
all the rocks and debris that hit it. Those little
rocks chipped away the paint and exposed the bare metal.
Over the years, rust settled in and grew like mold on
warm damp bread. Here's some pix of the primered
spot before I took the rest of the front off the car.
The last step I needed to take care of was giving the
car a good scrub down and pressure wash. The car
was incredibly dusty from all the work and grinding I
did on it and the undercarriage was covered with dirt
and mud. Something tells me that there's some
interesting history behind this car. Mud was caked
on all inside the wheel wells and on the inside of the
fenders. So I broke out some Simple Green, some
Comet, a nice new scrubbing sponge, my brother's
pressure washer, and my garden hose.
I figure that I'll need to let the water soak into
the mud underneath the car to soften it up a bit.
So I wash underneath the car with the hose and get it
all wet then proceed to start scrubbing down the body.
Scrubbing down the body took a lot longer than I
thought it would. It was at the end of the day too
so it started getting colder and colder as the sun went
down. Brrrrrrrr... Using the abrasive sponge
and cleanser really cleaned up the dirt embedded paint
and removed a lot of the oxidized paint. Gee, the
car even looks like a darker yellow now and I can
actually see a bit of reflection in the paint.
Anyhow, after getting the outside body all cleaned
out, I go back to the undercarriage. I start off
with the hose again and chunks of mud come flying out of
the wheel wells. Nasty. So I proceed to get
closer with the hose concentrating the pressure to the
inside facing of the wheel wells. I reach inside
to see how much dirt there is and I can't even feel the
inside lip of the fender because the mud is so thick.
Man, this is going to take awhile. So I end up
using my fingers to scrape out the mud then wash it all
out with the hose. I then break out the pressure
washer and finish the job up. Man, what a mess.
My driveway looked like a washed out dirt road after I
The car is nice and clean now though. See
So you're probably wondering what happened to the
rear hatch? Well, the one that was on the car is
destined for the metal recycling center. My
gardener offered to take it along with a bunch of other
metal parts I had stashed on the side of my house
cluttering up my yard. He's suppose to pickup the
hatch, the old 20r block that I hacked the rods out of,
two flywheels, and some other Little Tykes toys that my
kids are too big for now. I hope he doesn't
forget, I'm looking forward to being able to walk along
the side of my house again and putting in my annual
vegetable garden which I'm already late with. The
replacement hatch is at the body shop already.
Brian Kono already worked on it and primered it. I
found the hatch awhile ago at Pick A Part in Willmington.
Boy, got lucky on that one because the hatch had very
little rust. The keyhole was jacked up but Brian
Kono was able to fix that.
So yesterday I called Brian Kono at Kono's Auto Body to setup a
time that I could bring the car down. Since I have
to tow it there, I didn't want to take the car there
then find out he was closed or something.
Unfortunately, Brian needs to get one last car out of
the shop bay so he can put mine in there. He told
me he didn't want to leave it outside because it might
rust out. Gee, everybody has to be a commedian
So it looks like the yellow beast will have to sit in
my garage an extra week. That's okay though, maybe
I can do a bit more work in the engine bay area.
Not like I'm ahead of schedule or anything. I
think my original plan was to get it into the body shop
I just hope I can be done by the JCCS show in September.